Freedom from Compulsive Overeating

Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Power of Forgiveness

I attended an awesome workshop today.
Over the past year a recurring theme has come up for me – forgiveness. So when I found out about this workshop, I knew I had to go. I’m glad I decided to go.
The first people I see when I walk into the center are my former chiropractor and his wife. It was nice to see them. It’s nice to see people who haven’t seen me since I dropped the weight; it’s a reminder of how far I’ve come.
So many gems were offered. Much of it was information I have already heard but obviously haven’t embraced. The capacity to forgive is within us. I’ll keep listening until something click.
I like the question: What is the benefit of being unforgiving?
We believe there is some benefit in resentment, blame, harboring anger. For me, it’s protection. I have been hurt and disappointed and do not want to be hurt and disappointed again. I also do not understand what I did to be treated so poorly. Even though I know it’s not about me, I still can’t believe the other person wouldn’t even consider my feelings. I felt I deserved better.
The teacher went on to explain samsara – the cycle of impure life, the cycle of problem. He then explains that the key to forgiveness is the power of acceptance. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I’ve heard this before. Why can’t I get it? He then explains that resentment is rejecting reality. Life happens. We can either live in denial or deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment