Freedom from Compulsive Overeating

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Self Will

I have not been doing so well lately.  Today I came within seconds of making a bad decision.  I went out to lunch with a friend.  I've been to this place a thousand times and know they serve potato chips with their sandwiches.  For whatever reason, I did not say, "no chips."  The whole time I sat there knowing my sandwich was being prepared and they were going to put chips on my plate.

The server comes and puts my plate in front of me.  I look at the bag of chips and toss them aside.  I start eating my sandwich, pick up the bag of chips and look at the calories.  150 calories.  Not bad, I tell myself.  I toss it aside again.  All sorts of thoughts are going through my mind.  "You can handle this.  It's been almost two years....one bag of chips isn't going to hurt...."  The more I wrestled with my thoughts about eating the chips, the more I realized it wasn't a good idea to eat them. 

After my meal was over, we sat and chatted, the bag of chips was still sitting on the table.  I even thought about taking the chips home to eat later while I was alone. As we got up to leave, I offered them to a friend and she put them in her purse.  I am very grateful I chose God's will over my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment