Freedom from Compulsive Overeating

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Action, not Reaction

One of the many lessons I learned while working the steps was how often I reacted to a situation instead of acting. There’s a big difference. For me, the difference is my focus. When I am reacting, I am focusing on the other. When I am acting, my focus is on me and my journey.

Today’s question asks what actions do I take daily to help me continue my recovery. This is the basis of Step 10.

Yesterday I looked at my calendar and realized I have been abstinent 140 days. I could not have come this far without the help of Spirit/God, my wonderful sponsor (we’re getting along wonderfully, by the way,) my OA fellows, and taking action.



Each day I begin my day by checking in with my sponsor and I read For Today.

Meditation is also a very essential part of my recovery and spiritual practice. I was just sharing with someone that other day how I am beginning to realize that meditation is key in helping me stay present and awareness.

I also pray every day. Each day I pray for me and my sponsor that we end the day in peace and abstinence. I also pray and say grace before each meal. I give thanks for an abstinent meal and pray for abstinence for my OA fellows – whether they’re in program or not. I add that part because I like how my face to face meeting ends by praying for those who still suffering from COE.

At the end of the day, I submit my food plan and complete a check in list, a gratitude list, and a Step 10 inventory to my sponsor.
These are the actions I take on a daily basis, without fail.

On a regular basis, I attend meetings, listen to recovery podcasts, read recovery books, reach out to other OA fellows, journal/blog, and read/participate on email loops. I recently started using Twitter as a part of my recovery tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment