Freedom from Compulsive Overeating

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

No Magic Pill

Yesterday one of my coworkers asked me what I was doing to “rock the weight loss.” My first reaction was shock. Even though I’ve released 77 pounds, I still do not see it the way others do. In fact, I couldn’t believe the reaction I received during my trip home.

I know I’m going off on a tangent…I am not really aware of just how much weight I’ve released until I do things like fit into an airplane seat, try on a favorite piece of clothing that no longer fits, or have someone tell me how great I look.

I really think part of me is in just as much denial about how much weight I’ve released as in how much weight I had gained over the years. I still need to work on staying connected to my body.

Now, back to my coworker…when I shared that I was exercising and had joined OA, she seemed a bit disappointed. We’ve worked together for about 11 years and I’ve noticed her weight go up and down. I know she’s tried a number of diets. This has not been my experience but part of me can still relate to wanting there so be some magic solution.

I thought about how OA is a program of attraction, not promotion. I prayed that she will see how well OA is working for me and that maybe it is something that could work for her. In fact, I see how anyone can look at me while there is no magic pill, there is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment