Freedom from Compulsive Overeating

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Introduction to Human Nutrition

I'm so excited about the online course I'm taking -- Into to Human Nutrition. It's a course through the University of Florida and Coursera. I received 90% on my Week One quiz and I just completed my Week One assignment. I hope I figured out how to copy and paste it here to share. We also have to track our food and do a weekly assessment of our nutrition. I'm learning so much about nutrition that I know will help me maximize my health and get to a healthier body weight.


3 comments:

  1. but how few carbohydrates do we really need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question. I do not know. I'll see if I can find an answer.

      Delete
    2. I found an answer! According to the DRI (Dietary Reference Intake), the minimum amount is 130 grams (to allow the brain and central nervous system to function)BUT the report goes on to say:

      “The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed. However, the amount of dietary carbohydrate that provides for optimal health in humans is unknown. There are traditional populations that ingested a high fat, high protein diet containing only a minimal amount of carbohydrate for extended periods of time (Masai), and in some cases for a lifetime after infancy (Alaska and Greenland Natives, Inuits, and Pampas indigenous people) (Du Bois, 1928; Heinbecker, 1928). There was no apparent effect on health or longevity. Caucasians eating an essentially carbohydrate-free diet, resembling that of Greenland natives, for a year tolerated the diet quite well (Du Bois, 1928).”

      So it seems that if you are getting enough protein and fat (whatever amount that may be) you do not need to consume carbohydrates at all. Interesting stuff!

      Delete