Freedom from Compulsive Overeating

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Step 1 Writing

How willing am I to admit that I am powerless over food and that my life is unmanageable?

Joining OA was a great eye-opener for me. I had a very hard time admitting I was powerless over food. I was raised to believe I could conquer anything. Self-reliance was a HUGE part of my belief system. I was taught that I worked hard I could overcome anything. To a certain degree, I still believe this. However, when it comes to food, I have made some adjustments to my beliefs.

I thought admitting I was powerless meant I was admitting I was weak. Through working the steps I have learned the two are not synonymous. I have no control over my addiction and attachment to certain food and food behaviors. Trying to control something that is uncontrollable is insanity!

When I finally realized my eating was out of control, I did my best to gain control. I did a great job for a while. Willpower worked. I lost weight. When my relationship failed, so did my willpower. I found myself diving back into the food despite my best efforts. I knew I had a choice but I kept making unhealthy choices anyhow.

So, I am willing to admit that I am powerless over food and that my life is unmanageable by working the steps and attending OA meetings. I keep a food diary and check in with my sponsor every day. For the longest time I resisted writing down what I ate. Eating, overeating, was my private ritual. Being accountable to someone for what I eat every day is one way I demonstrate my willingness.

I also had to admit there were certain foods I could no longer eat. I have been willing to give up eating some of my “favorite” foods – potato chips, Crunch and Munch, jelly bellys, Mike and Ikes, cake, and cupcakes, and cookies.

Making a connection between how my overeating was more difficult. I was really hard for me to see how my relationship with food had affected my relationship with people. I became willing to admit there were times I chose food over people. I chose to steal and sneak other people’s foods. I chose to stay in alone and eat instead of going out with others to socialize. I am willing to admit there have been times I have been so focused on the food I was eating that I wasn’t very present during meals or social events. As a result, my relationships with people suffered.

I know have a food plan that helps me stay on track with abstinence and recovery. I make sure I read For Today every day to remind me that I need constant guidance when it comes to my relationship with eating and food. I am willing to check in with my sponsor before and after meal, when necessary. I am willing to identify myself as a compulsive overeater. I am willing to go to meetings. I am willing to reach out to others. I am willing to listen and be of service to other COE’s. I am willing to work the step and my program on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment